Thursday, May 22, 2008

What is this blog for?

My girlfriend and I love good food!
By looking at us, you could see how much we enjoy our food. I don't want you to think we are these people who will eat any substance thrown in front of them, because we do have standards for quality and ambiance. I will warn you however, we will pick substance over flash any day.

Since we moved to Austin, Tx from South Florida by way of Mel-BORING, we have been on a quest to find those restaurants, dives, hole-in-the-wall's, diners and fine eating establishments of choice.

To our dissatisfaction, we searched high and low on the information super highway to find those niche establishments, since we hadn't met any trusted palates yet. We tried all the typically known sites: Urban Spoon , City Search and Austin360. You would think by taking their TOP RECOMMENDATIONS we would be blown away by the quality of the food or at least the ambiance of the restaurant. Nope... I am now convinced they just paid to advertise there.

In comes my blog... I will take you on a journey thru the different cuisines around town and be brutally honest on likes and dislikes. It will be based on a combination of my SO's preferences and my own. Just for balance.

I hope this blog helps any new transplants to the Austin area find their "comfort food" close to home.

Ciao!
-g

HISTORY OF OUR TASTE:
She is a meat, rice, pasta and potato person. While I am the veggie conscious low interest in carb, carnivore.

Some of our favorites that we will be looking for are:
New York style pizza
ANY Italian food
ANY Asian food - Korean, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese...
Hummus and Pita

My S.O., known as GumbyGirl for the sake of this blog, is a New York Jew transplanted to the Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, West Palm Beach areas. (we don't like to talk about Mel-BORING FL) She has a special fondness towards Mediterranean foods: Lebanese, Arab, and Israeli (probably from living in Israel for a while) AND OF COURSE she loves typical Jewish foods: Matzo Ball Soup, Bagels and Lox, that gel fish stuff and any kind of pastries -sweet or for meals.

I grew up a Native Texan in Houston, who moved to Ft Lauderdale after traveling to Europe and some of the Middle East. I am the more daring of the two as I will try anything twice. Once just to experience it, a second time just in case it wasn't cooked properly the first time. You should also know I grew up eating SPICY foods. I am convinced Jalapenos where in my bottle... I prefer Hispanic and Tex-Mex, Italian and naturally, southern food. The joke is "If it's in a tomato base, I will like it."





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]